Friday 27 July 2007

A beautiful day

Today is the last Friday of the month… The relatives can visit their babies. Some of them come from very far... And it has a cost too. They don’t meet their children at the nursery but at the Social Services. Once they arrived there, they give their names and someone calls the nursery… Today we take Mary, Joseph, Delori, Chisisi, Prince, Peter, Innocent, Theresa and Shalone… They all dressed up. I feel very excited for them.


When the car enters the parking lot, I’m too busy juggling with the 3 babies that I have been given to notice the parents running towards it. When I raise my head, there are hands everywhere… They want their babies. I can see a lot of emotion, especially in Innocent father’s eyes. I’ve been said that Malawian men don’t really care about their children – it’s a women’s matter… It’s so not true. The daddies are clumsy. It’s so touching. I show Innocent’s dad how to hold the bottle.

I don’t want to disturb them… to be an intruder. I only take a few pictures…

Joseph looks very happy in his auntie’s arms. He may go back to his village very soon. Looking at them, it’s the way it should be. Life might be tough for them but love will ease it. What a beautiful day.

No comments: