Tuesday 14 August 2007

Night shift

Today we work the night shift – 4pm to 8am. We are supposed to be picked up between 3 and 4pm. The car shows up at 7pm!!! We stop by Shoprite to buy some cakes for the mothers. The lady serving us is so slow… I could pinch her.

When we arrive in Area 47 it’s as black as pitch. There is a power cut… Candles light the nursery. It’s actually very cosy. Most of the babies are already asleep and the mothers about to eat. We help them to clean. They laugh when I offer to mop… We eat our cakes while having a cup of tea. We all go to bed around 9pm. Johanna and I get to sleep in the office – the mothers sleep on mattresses in the corridor. The nursery is so peaceful. We should do nights more often…


5.00am. If you could see my face… I woke up every 30min to feed or change a baby and fought with mosquitoes the rest of the time. And now it’s time to give all the babies a bath. The sun is not up yet… I have a headache. Did I just say that we should do nights more often?

No comments: