Tuesday 28 August 2007

Training at Mponela

Ministry of Hope asked me if I could coach some nursery teachers. They have several educational programs running around Lilongwe but no money to train their staff. I have been given very little details about my assignment so it has not been easy to design a training plan… Well, adaptability and improvisation are must-have qualities in Africa. And luckily I know my subject well.


We leave at 10.30am. Mponela is 55km away from Lilongwe. On our way, we collect some teachers in a village. The track is in a very bad state. It takes forever. It’s so hot…I’m melting in the car… We arrive in Mponela at 1.30pm. We’re late. Some of the students have been waiting for us since 8.00am! The responsible of the centre shows me around and takes me to my “training class”. In a huge hall, a bamboo mat on the floor and one plastic chair… for me… I introduce myself and ask them to do the same. I can barely hear their voices… I try to make them comfortable but then realise that their conduct has nothing to do with shyness. They show me respect… We start the session with a prayer. They say it in English for me. They mostly thank God for sending me… They expect so much from me. I feel moved all of a sudden.

I emphasise on 3 key words: Play, Routine and Teamwork. Having fun as a vital need to the development of a child… Constancy as a way to make him feel safe… Team up for the teachers to perform better…
We have to go but they really want me to have lunch with them. They only get one meal a day. They give me the biggest portion… to thank me… But I should be the one thanking them really. I am really happy. That day will stay with me for a very long time…

No comments: